Water & Sewer
Message to All Residents:
Recently a number of homeowners have received a mailing from HomeServe Insurance, a New Jersey based insurance company offering water service line insurance coverage. This program is not being offered by the township but through an independent insurer. The township has no involvement whatsoever with this program.
The township maintains, and will continue to maintain the city water system up to the curb stop/meter pit. Property owners are responsible for their water lines and home connection beyond the curb stop/meter pit.
Purchase of said insurance is an individual choice and personal needs should be evaluated before purchasing.
If you have any questions concerning this program, please contact HomeServe at the number listed on their communication.
The Water and Sewer Utility Department work crew is located behind the Municipal Complex.
The department includes 7 separate divisions:
- Director, James A. Moran
- Heavy Equipment Operators
- Mark-Out Department
- Meter Department
To supply the township residents and businesses with safe and palatable drinking water. We are available to assist our customers with water saving techniques which help to keep quarterly usage bills at a minimum.
- It is our goal to provide the safest and best tasting drinking water in the State in the most cost effective manner.
- Our Meter Department is available to assist customers with leak detection and any and all meter questions. We have implemented the Flex-Net Meter reading system in a majority of our residential and commercial facilities which allows us to monitor meter reads on a 6 hour basis alerting us of any unusually high usages. We in turn will investigate the high read and notify the resident if a leak is detected.
- Our Operators are required to hold state licenses issued under the NJDEP. These licenses require that all operators obtain Continuing Education Credits annually in order to keep their license valid. The Continuing Education Credit process ensures that all operators are up to date on the newest regulations and techniques concerning safe drinking water. They also are required to obtain Continuing Education Credits relative to sewer collection as part of their licensing. As a matter of fact, we are so highly respected that we were asked by a neighboring Borough to oversee their water and sewer department.
- The Water and Sewer Utility has grown from 7498 customers in 2000 to over 11,800 customers in 2010. We have 4 water treatment plants, 14 sewer pump stations, 5 water towers and we maintain 28 grinder pumps within the township.
- Our newest water treatment plant located in Ocean Acres is a State of Art facility housing the latest monitoring and treatment equipment.
- Hydrants are flushed 2 times a year. The flushing schedules are posted on the township website, all local WaWas, channel 22 and a broadcast message is sent to each home the night before flushing begins in your area.
- We are continually upgrading our system in order to provide the best and safest water to our customers in the most cost effective manner.
- We also offer tours of our facilities to interested groups. If your group would be interested in touring our facilities please contact us at 609-597-1000, ext. 8586.